Submit a Guest Column
So, you'd like to write for BlueOregon? Great! We're now taking guest columns. Hint: this is also the path to becoming a regular contributor.
Here's how it works: We'll post up to one contribution a day from guest columnists. Obviously, we won't publish everything we receive - though we'll usually let you know if we're going to pass on something. Just submit your work through the form below, and our editors will take a look.
What we're looking for:
- Priority will be given to columns with an Oregon angle, especially outside Portland. National stuff is already everywhere.
- We're looking for compelling and wide-ranging social commentary. Boring partisan rants can go elsewhere. Press releases will be auto-trashed.
- Length? Anywhere from a paragraph to 5-6 paragraphs. Not more.
- We'll look kindly on submissions that are web-friendly, with bolded phrases, links to more info, images (just include a link), etc.
- Be original. Stuff that's been recently covered on BlueOregon won't likely get published. Of course, if you bring a fresh perspective, well, that may grab our attention. And no, we won't publish something that's been published elsewhere already.
- Nothing anonymous. Also, you're responsible for the content of your posts. You own your words.
- Guest columns should reflect the BlueOregon concept:
"BlueOregon. It'll be progressive; it'll be smart; it'll be funny; it'll be compelling; it'll be provocative; it'll be unpredictable. It'll be political, but not narrowly so. It'll be a free-ranging social and cultural critique. It'll be by Oregonians and for Oregonians, but not always about Oregon. Above all else, BlueOregon will not be boring."