The Oregonian reports today that a new conservative coalition has been formalized in our state. They call themselves the "Tax Coalition" or "Center Right" - Who's part of it?
- Taxpayer Association of Oregon
- several other anti-tax groups and people working on anti-tax initiative campaigns
- Grover Norquist and his Americans for Tax Reform
- Oregonians in Action (creators of Measure 37)
- Crime Victims United
- Right to Life
- Cascade Policy Institute (a "libertarian" think tank that specializes in attacking land use policies)
- Brainstorm NW (Oregon's own conservative monthly magazine)
- a Republican legislative staffer (and Ron Saxton was the keynote speaker at the group's meeting)
If you aren't frightened, you should be. This is the same strategy used by Norquist and other national conservative leaders to ensure that the ultra right-wing cause stays on track and on message. You know how successful this strategy has been nationally. Now they're bringing it home to our state. Already, they've captured our intiative process.
And there is nothing like it on the Left, either nationally or in Oregon.
I hope our state's liberal leaders realize the magnitude of this problem and get working fast to create their own roundtable. There is no time to lose, only more elections.