By Sen. Jackie Dingfelder and Rep. Jules Bailey of Portland, Oregon.
On this 42nd Earth Day, we celebrate the beauty and bounty that nature provides us - and consider how to protect the air we breathe, the water we drink, and all the things that make our city and our state a great place to live. In Portland, that abundance is especially visible, from the majesty of Mt. Hood to the serenity of Forest Park. We are fortunate to live surrounded by such an incredible range of wilderness and to have some of the cleanest drinking water in the nation.
Today we are writing to urge you to support the one environmental champion in the Mayor's race - Eileen Brady.
This past fall, we were named Environmental Champion of the Year and Environmental Innovator of the Year by the Oregon League of Conservation Voters. In the Oregon Legislature, we are the Chairs of the Senate and House Environment Committees - on the front line of the fight to protect the environment in Oregon. We support Eileen Brady because we know that she will join us every single day to promote environmental protection and build a sustainable, clean economy.
As we lead the environmental fight in Salem, we need a Mayor of Portland that will be a strong partner. That leader is Eileen Brady.
Eileen has shown strong leadership on the environment, climate change, and sustainability throughout her life and career.
Eileen has been an environmental activist for 25 years - demonstrating working models for more a sustainable, green economy. From her early anti-nuclear activism to her leadership in the natural food business, Eileen has lived sustainability, and practiced it in her daily life. She has taken leadership in building many landmark environmental programs in our city, such as Zenger Farm, Ecotrust, and the Chinook Book. Some believe in the old myth that protecting the environment is at odds with economic growth and job creation. Eileen's accomplishments are proof that they, in fact, go hand in hand.
Eileen is the ONLY candidate in the Mayor's race to offer a specific plan for protecting our environment. As Mayor, Eileen will:
- Since 40% of emissions are linked to buildings, develop and implement a comprehensive energy efficiency plan to retrofit existing buildings.
- Apply the power of the mayor's office to ensure a cost-efficient, comprehensive cleanup of Portland harbor.
- Push for congestion tolling on the I-5 bridge - the most effective method for reducing emissions and increasing use of transit.
- Push for development of an electric vehicle charging network.
- Fight for Portland's air quality by insisting on air quality monitoring and pushing for air quality standards near public schools.
- Increase the tree canopy in Portland to 35% coverage to use nature’s systems to increase air quality, storm water management, and to manage flooding and erosion.
Eileen has our support because we've seen the positive impact she's already achieved through her leadership. Please join her grassroots, people-powered campaign. Eileen has nearly 2000 donors - an extraordinary accomplishment for a first-time candidate.
On this Earth Day, let's pledge to work together for a clean, healthy environment and to elect Eileen Brady, our next environmental champion.
April 22, 2012 | |